On July 14, 1967, as a member of the Houston Astros Mathews hit his 500th homerun against future Hall of Famer Juan Marichal at the Houston Astrodome. Mathews became the seventh player to reach the 500 homerun plateau, doing so two months after Mickey Mantle of the New York Yankees hit his 500th.
On July 14, 1968, the 500th homerun plateau was once again reached against the San Francisco Giants. This time it was Hank Aaron who hit his 500th against Mike McCormick at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. Aaron became the eight player to reach the 500 homerun plateau.
At the time of Aaron's reaching 500 homeruns, here is how the list looked like (with date of reaching the 500 homerun plateau):
- Babe Ruth August 11, 1929
- Jimmie Foxx September 24, 1940
- Mel Ott August 1, 1945
- Ted Williams June 17, 1960
- Willie Mays September 13, 1965
- Mickey Mantle May 14, 1967
- Eddie Mathews July 14, 1967
- Hank Aaron July 14, 1968
Aaron and Mathews would combine for a total of 863 homeruns as teammates from 1953-1965. An amazing accomplishment by teammates who often are overlooked when talking about the best one-two combinations in a major league lineup.
Until Then Keep Playing Ball,
For Further Reading:
- Click here for the box score from July 14, 1967 between the San Francisco Giants and the Houston Astros from BaseballAlmanac.com
- Click here for the box score from July 14, 1968 bewteen the San Francisco Giants and the Atlanta Braves from BaseballAlmanac.com